IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!!

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Unable to Endorse Orman

As I promised, I contacted candidate Dr. John Orman who is running to defeat the noxious incumbent Joe Lieberman for U.S. Senate from Connecticut.

I asked about whether he supports equal marriage rights for same-sex couples. I am more than a little perplexed at how he seemed to wonder if I was proposing to him. This indicates to me that he has an unfortunate discomfort with this issue of equal rights.

Suggestions of leaving the issue to individual states present some complication. I find myself wondering (and plan to ask) if Dr. Orman would support allowing individual states to decide whether or not to ban interracial marriage. I would not necessarily oppose a candidate if he were to make a tactical decision that equal rights would most quickly be achieved by leaving jurisdiction to the states.

I am disappointed, however, that Dr. Orman did not endorse equal rights. Civil onions and DP's are discriminatory constructs, and in 2006, I am ready to actively oppose any candidate who believes that creating a new, unfair program is a good thing.

So who else is going to run?

Emails below:

Subject: RE: Position questions/Senate Run
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 10:51:48 -0400
From: "Orman, John"
To:

If I was elected to the U.S. Senate and President Bush's proposed
constitutional amendment to ban gay marriages came to the floor, I
would vote against the ban. If a bill came to the floor to make civil unions
and domestic partnerships the law of the land, I would vote for that
idea. If you are asking if I personally want to have a gay marriage, no
I do not. I am already married. I would leave the issue of same sex
marriages up to each individual state. I no longer have an exploratory
committee. I have filed formal papers with the Federal Elections
Committee and I am the only officially announced candidate for U.S.
Senate from either party. My committee is "Orman: the DEMOCRAT for
Senate" Committee. Thank you for your concern. My website with my
positions should be up soon. Dr. John Orman

-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:ael777@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:04 AM
To: Orman, John
Subject: Position questions/Senate Run

Dr. Orman,

Thank you for forming an exploratory committee to run
against DINO Joe.

I wanted to ask you specifically if you support equal
marriage rights for same-sex couples, and also where I
can find more information on your positions on other
issues too.

I will look forward to hearing back from you!

Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home